Application Requirements

To apply for our Ph.D program, prospective students should follow the directions on the UCLA Graduate Programs in Bioscience (GPB) webpage.

Candidates considered for admission must have completed a B.A. or B.S. degree in engineering, physical or life sciences fields and submit the following materials by December 1, 2021:

Required materials submitted online through the Graduate Division website:

  1. Application
  2. Personal History Statement
  3. Statement of Purpose
  4. Resume
  5. Minimum of three recommendation letters
  6. TOEFL/IELTS score (international applicants only)
  7. Unofficial transcripts
  8. Fellowship Application (if applying for the Graduate Division fellowships)
  9. Application fee

Required materials submitted by email to the Home Area:

Official transcripts
Attention: Emily Fitch


  • GRE scores taken within the last three years (general test only). The institution code for UCLA is 4837. The Department code for Pharmacology is 0216.
    • Students who wish to apply to our graduate program for the 2021-2022 academic year are not required to take the GRE or submit a GRE score report as part of their application package.  However, students may voluntarily submit GRE test scores and they will be reviewed as part of the holistic application consideration.  The applications with GRE scores will not be given greater weight than those that do not include scores.


Alternate Ph.D. Entry Programs
We accept students through the following academic programs at UCLA:

VISTA (Veterinary Investigation in Scientific Training and Advancement)
The Division of Laboratory Animal Medicine, together with the Department of Molecular and Medical Pharmacology, offers PhD or postdoctoral training combined with residency training. The program accepts outstanding veterinarians (with a DVM or DVM/PhD degree from an accredited institution) seeking advanced research training. For further information, contact or 310-794-8224.


Pharmacology vs. Pharmacy
IMPORTANT! If your goal is to be able to dispense drugs as a pharmacist, you want a PHARMACY school, not a Pharmacology program. The following schools in California have Pharmacy programs: