Elie Besserer-Offroy, Ph.D.
23-170 Center for Health Sciences
Positions & Affiliations:
Assistant Professor of Molecular and Medical Pharmacology
The Besserer Lab focuses on the development of theranostic probes to identify and develop novel and effective therapeutics for brain cancer and especially glioblastomas. Our research is centered on targeting cell surface proteins expressed by cancer cells and stromal cells (support cells surrounding the tumor). We also aim to develop innovative ways to cross the blood-brain barrier using different techniques such as the use of conjugation with brain-penetrant molecules. Finally, we have an interest in personalized medicine and the use of innovative technology to identify tumors that are at the high potential to respond to a precise drug or combination of drugs. To achieve these goals, we use and develop in vitro, in vivo, and ex vivo techniques combining knowledge of pharmacology, biochemistry, cell biology, and physiology.
The Besserer Lab is closely collaborating with the laboratories of Dr. David Nathanson and Dr. Johannes Czernin at the Ahmanson Translational Theranostics Division.
Dr. Besserer-Offroy is an Assistant Professor of Molecular and Medical Pharmacology at UCLA. He received his Ph.D. in Pharmacology from the Université de Sherbrooke (Canada) under the direction of Dr. Philippe Sarret. During his doctoral studies, Elie investigated the relationships existing between G Protein-Coupled Receptors (GPCR) signaling in vitro and the observed physiological effects in vivo. He then pursued a Post-Doctoral Fellowship at McGill University (Canada) under the mentorship of Dr. Terry Hébert where he studied the functional role of GPCR heterodimerization in the signaling processes in vitro and in vivo.
Dr. Besserer-Offroy is the recipient of Fellowships from the Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR) and Fonds de recherche du Québec – Santé (Quebec Health Research Funds).
- Ph.D. in Pharmacology, Université de Sherbrooke (Canada), 2010-2017
- B.Sc. in Medical Biochemistry, Université Claude-Bernard – Lyon I (France), 2009-2010
- A.Sc. in Biology, Université de Franche-Comté (France), 2007-2009
Academic Appointments :
- Assistant Professor of Molecular and Medical Pharmacology, UCLA, 2021-present
- Faculty Lecturer, School of Pharmacy, Université de Montréal, 2019-present
- Post-Doctoral Associate in Pharmacology and Therapeutics, McGill University, 2018-2021
- Assistant Research Scientist for a University/Industry consortium in Quebec, 2017